Read More

The Best Gun Belt

  • Mark Woodward
  • Reviews
  • January 8, 2021
Read More

Bullet Caliber Sizes: What Should I Use?

  • Wayne
  • CCW Training Basics
  • October 31, 2017
Read More

The Best IWB Holster

  • Paul Higgins
  • Reviews
  • February 13, 2020
Read More

The Best Shoulder Holster

  • Mark Woodward
  • Reviews
  • February 4, 2020



Permit Information

South Dakota gun laws allow concealed carry permits to be issued to residents only. There are exemptions for military personnel posted to the state. Permits are processed at the county level by the local sheriff’s office. Applicants must be at least 18 years or older. There are three permits available; Regular, Gold, and Enhanced. The Enhanced permit is to obtain more reciprocity and requires a firearms training course. Upon application the Sheriff will issue a temporary permit within 5 days. Open carry is legal without a permit.





CCW Reciprocity Map

Permit Honored
Permit not honored
Enhanced permit only
Issuing state

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Districts & Territories
District of Columbia, New York City, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands


South Dakota is a “shall issue” state.
Residents only.
The permit is valid for 5 years.

NOTE – three types of permit are available;
Regular – requires clean SD criminal record for five years.
Gold card – requires fingerprinting and a Federal background check.
Enhanced – requires fingerprinting, Federal background check and a firearms safety course.


Where You Cannot Carry

  • An establishment licensed to serve alcoholic beverages on the premises if the establishment derives more than 50% of its sales from alcoholic beverages
  • A county courthouse
  • An elementary or secondary school premises, including school vehicles or buildings
  • A snowmobile, unless firearm is unloaded and entirely enclosed in a carrying case
  • A game preserve or refuge
  • Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law. 

Where You Can Carry

  • State parks
  • State and national forests
  • Road side rest areas
  • Vehicle
  • All areas of the state – except those listed below 

Details on Nebraska Gun Laws

Concealed carry permits/licenses are issued by the Sheriff in the applicants county of residence.

30 Days
The application for a concealed carry permit/license must be processed within 30 days of the application being received. A temporary permit is issued within 5 days.

NO – Must Inform Officer on Contact By Law
South Dakota gun laws do not say you must inform law enforcement that you are carrying a firearm. You are legally required to carry a permit/license whenever you have a firearm on your person.

“No Weapons” signs are not mentioned in South Dakota gun laws. There are no legal penalties for entering a private property or business that has posted these signs. They have no force of law unless they are posted in areas that are mentioned by the law as being off limits.

GunsToCarry recommends that you do not enter a property displaying a “No Weapons” sign whether the law is for or against signage. If asked to leave a property and you refuse to do so then you are breaking the law and put yourself at risk of being charged.

YES – Without a Permit/License
If you do not have a permit you can carry an unloaded handgun in the trunk or other closed compartment of a vehicle if it is in a container, which is too large to be concealed on a person. The Attorney General in 2004 wrote an opinion in which he says it is OK to carry a handgun in a vehicle if it is not concealed and visible.
Only a permit holder can carry a concealed firearm in a vehicle.

YES – Without a Permit/License
Open carry is legal in South Dakota.

YES – In Restaurants That Serve Alcohol
“Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Some restaurants may be posted with “NO GUN” signs. Check with the staff if this means just the bar area. If we have indicated a “Yes” then it should be legal to have a meal without drinking alcohol.

You are permitted to carry in state parks, state forests, WMA’s and roadside rest areas

Get in Touch

Minnehaha County Sheriff


Monday – Friday    8am – 5pm

Saturday                  Closed

Sunday                    Closed


Address    415 N. Dakota Ave

City            Sioux Falls, SD 57104

Phone       (605) 367-4300