Read More

The Best Gun Belt

  • Mark Woodward
  • Reviews
  • January 8, 2021
Read More

Bullet Caliber Sizes: What Should I Use?

  • Wayne
  • CCW Training Basics
  • October 31, 2017
Read More

The Best IWB Holster

  • Paul Higgins
  • Reviews
  • February 13, 2020
Read More

The Best Shoulder Holster

  • Mark Woodward
  • Reviews
  • February 4, 2020



Permit Information

Rhode Island gun laws are restrictive, making it difficult to obtain permits in this state. Permits can be issued by the local authorities or the Attorney General. The wording of the law makes the local authorities “Shall Issue” and the Attorney General “May Issue”. This will need to be cleared up by the courts. Applicants are required to explain why they need a firearm and how it will remedy their problem. They must be 21 years or older and have three typed and notarized references. Applications are filed with the local Police Chief.t in Vermont.





CCW Reciprocity Map

Permit Honored
Permit not honored
Residential permits only
AG issued permits only
Issuing state

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia

Rhode Island does not honor permits/licenses from other states.


Rhode Island is a “May Issue” & “Shall Issue” state.
Non-Resident permits available if you own a residence or business in Rhode Island.
The permit is valid for 4 years.

Where You Cannot Carry

  • You cannot carry a firearm if you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law. 

Where You Can Carry

  • Road side rest areas
  • Vehicle
  • All areas of the state – except those listed below 

Details on Rhode Island Gun Laws

Concealed carry permits/licenses are issued by the Attorney General or the local Police/Sheriff.

90 Days
The application for a concealed carry permit/license must be processed within 90 days of the application being received.

NO – Must Inform Officer on Contact By Law
There is nothing in Rhode Island gun laws that state you must inform a law enforcement officer you have a firearm when approached on official business. The law does require you to carry your permit at all times during which the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun.

We have been unable to find any info on “No Weapons” signs in Rhode Island gun laws. So please follow the advice below.

Gunlyf recommends that you do not enter a property displaying a “No Weapons” sign whether the law is for or against signage. If asked to leave a property and you refuse to do so then you are breaking the law and put yourself at risk of being charged.

YES/NO – Without a Permit/License
You must have a valid permit/license to carry a loaded handgun in any vehicle. If you are a resident of Rhode Island and do not have a permit there are certain conditions where you can transport handguns in a vehicle;

  • The handguns are merchandise
  • The handguns are unloaded and are being transported from the place of purchase to your home or place of business
  • You are moving the handguns from one place of living or business to another
  • You are transporting the handgun to or from a target practice range (handgun must be broken down, unloaded and secured in separate container or openly carried.)

NO – Without a Permit/License
You must have a permit/license to open carry. Different sources are saying that only a permit/license from the Rhode Island Attorney General will allow you to open carry and that if your permit was issued by the local Authorities then you are not allowed to open carry.

YES – In Restaurants That Serve Alcohol
“Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Some restaurants may be posted with “NO GUN” signs. Check with the staff if this means just the bar area. If we have indicated a “Yes” then it should be legal to have a meal without drinking alcohol.

It is illegal to carry in state parks, state forests, WMA’s. Roadside rest areas are OK.

Get in Touch

Providence Police Department


Monday – Friday     8:30am – 4:30pm

Saturday                   Closed

Sunday                     Closed


Address        325 Washington St.

City                Providence, RI 02903

Phone           (401) 272-3121