Read More

The Best Gun Belt

  • Mark Woodward
  • Reviews
  • January 8, 2021
Read More

Bullet Caliber Sizes: What Should I Use?

  • Wayne
  • CCW Training Basics
  • October 31, 2017
Read More

The Best IWB Holster

  • Paul Higgins
  • Reviews
  • February 13, 2020
Read More

The Best Shoulder Holster

  • Mark Woodward
  • Reviews
  • February 4, 2020



Permit Information

Montana gun laws operate on a “Unrestricted” and “Shall Issue” policy. The laws compared to other states are very permissive. Permits are issued to residents only who must be at least 18 years old. Concealed carry without a permit is legal if you are outside a town or city and engaged in any of the following activities, logging, mining, railroad camp, fishing, hunting, hiking, farming or backpacking. Applications are processed on a local level by the county sheriff’s office.





Montana Reciprocity Map

Permit Honored
Permit not honored
Issuing state

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Districts & Territories
New York City

Montana CCW Permit

Montana is a “shall issue” state.

Residents only.

The permit is valid for 4 years.


Where You Can Carry

  • State parks
  • State and national forests
  • Road side rest areas
  • Vehicles
  • All areas of the state – except those listed below 

Where You Cannot Carry

  • Any room where alcoholic beverages are sold, dispensed and consumed.
  • Any building that is leased by a local school district and used for instruction or student activities.
  • Portions of a building used for state or local government offices and related areas in the building that have been restricted.
  • A bank, credit union, savings and loan institution, or similar institution during the institution’s normal business hours. It is not an offense under this section to carry a concealed weapon while;
    • using an institution’s drive-up window, automatic teller machine, or unstaffed night depository; or
    • at or near a branch office of an institution in a mall, grocery store, or other place unless the person is inside the enclosure used for the institution’s financial services or is using the institution’s financial services.
  • On trains.
  • Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law. 

Details on Montana Gun Laws

Concealed carry permits/licenses are issued by the local county Sheriff.

60 Days
The application for a concealed carry permit/license must be processed within 60 days of the application being received.

NO – Must Inform Officer on Contact By Law
Montana gun laws do not state you have to inform a law enforcement officer that you are carrying a firearm or carry a permit if you are a resident.
If you are using a permit from another state that Montana honors then the law says you must be carrying your permit/license and ID.

“No Weapons” signs are not mentioned in Montana gun laws. There are no legal penalties for entering a private property or business that has posted these signs. They have no force of law unless they are posted in areas that are mentioned in the law as being off limits.

GunsToCarry recommends that you do not enter a property displaying a “No Weapons” sign whether the law is for or against signage. If asked to leave a property and you refuse to do so then you are breaking the law and put yourself at risk of being charged.

YES – Without a Permit/License
With no permit you can carry concealed outside of cities and towns. This applies in or out of a vehicle. In a city or town then a loaded firearm must be in the glove box or console. The Issue is whether or not the firearm is concealed (see open carry section). If you have a permit then you can carry concealed in a vehicle.

YES – Without a Permit/License
Open carry in Montana is legal and accepted. However, be aware that it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon without a permit in cities or towns. Concealed is defined as a handgun or a knife with a blade 4 or more inches in length that is wholly or partially covered by the clothing or wearing apparel of the person carrying or bearing the weapon. It is legal to carry a concealed weapon outside city or town limits without a permit.

YES/NO – In Restaurants That Serve Alcohol
You cannot carry a concealed firearm in a restaurant but it is legal to carry openly in restaurants that serve alcohol.
“Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Some restaurants may be posted with “NO GUN” signs. Check with the staff if this means just the bar area. If we have indicated a “Yes” then it should be legal to have a meal without drinking alcohol.

You are permitted to carry in state parks, state forests, WMA’s and roadside rest areas.

Montana Contacts
Yellowstone County Sheriff’s Office

Monday – Friday                       8am – 5pm

Saturday                                     Closed

Sunday                                       Closed


Address                2550 3rd Ave. North

City                        Billings, Montana 59107

Phone                   (406) 256-2929