Follow these steps to obtain a permit
- Complete a firearms training course.
- Download the application form or make an online application
- You will need some of the following documents;
- Application with the 3 affidavits completed and notarized.
- Copy of Louisiana Driver’s License or Louisiana Identification Card.
- Copy of Louisiana permanent injunction or the protective order. (If Applicable)
- Correct Fee as described in Rule Booklet.
- Proof of Training as described in Rule Booklet.
- Two sets of fingerprints on an FBI Applicant Card. If the fingerprints were taken electronically, they must be on two separate cards.
- Marital Status – If you are divorced, copies of the divorce settlement, decree, or final judgment along with any orders or injunctions of the court must be included.
- Arrests – If you have been arrested, you must include Certified True Copies of court minutes as requested in “Arrests, Detention, and Litigation Section.” You must still list violations that were EXPUNGED, DISMISSED, or SET ASIDE or for which you were PARDONED.
- Military – If you have served in the Armed Forces of the United States, you must include a copy of your DD-214. If you are currently serving in the Armed Forces of the United States, you must include a copy of your current orders or a copy of your military ID if allowed.
- Medical Summary Disposition – If you answered “yes” to any of the medical questions #13-19, the Medical Summary must be completed by the treating physician. This information MUST be included with your application.
- Contact your local police office, local sheriff’s department, or State Police Headquarters in Baton Rouge for fingerprinting.
- You can submit your application and documents by mail to;
Louisiana State Police
Concealed Handgun Permit Unit
PO Box 66375
Baton Rouge, LA 70896
- You will be notified by mail if your application has been approved.
Concealed Handgun Permit application form
Online Handgun Permit application
- Additional refresher training is required for all permit renewal applications.
- You will be notified by mail about 120 days before the expiration date on your permit.
- A renewal application must be submitted within 60 days of the expiration date.
- A new permit application is required if the permit expired over 60 days.
State info on permit renewals
$125 (ages 21 – 64)
$62.50 (ages 65 and over)
$500 (ages 21 – 64)
$250 (ages 65 and over)
$125 (ages 21 – 64)
$62.50 (age 65 and over)
Accepted forms of payment
Money order, Cashier’s check, or Certified check
Active Military/National Guard cost is $62.50 for 5 years or $250 for Lifetime.
Honorably Discharged Veterans of the Military/National Guard/Reserves – there is no charge for 5 year or Lifetime Permit.
If you have not continuously resided within the State of Louisiana for the 15 years immediately
preceding the date on which your application is received, an additional $50 non-refundable fee shall be
submitted. This is only for first-time applicants and is not required for any subsequent renewals.