Read More

The Best Gun Belt

  • Mark Woodward
  • Reviews
  • January 8, 2021
Read More

Bullet Caliber Sizes: What Should I Use?

  • Wayne
  • CCW Training Basics
  • October 31, 2017
Read More

The Best IWB Holster

  • Paul Higgins
  • Reviews
  • February 13, 2020
Read More

The Best Shoulder Holster

  • Mark Woodward
  • Reviews
  • February 4, 2020



Permit Information

Connecticut gun laws show a “May Issue” state. However, the state operates more like a “Shall Issue” state due to various court decisions. There is a two step process to obtain a permit. Firstly an applicant must apply for a temporary permit from the local authorities and then another application is made at the state level. This results in you paying for two permits, $140 in total. Connecticut gun laws are also strict on training and they will only accept the NRA’s basic pistol course.and a Court.





CCW Reciprocity Map

Permit Honored
Permit not honored
Residential permits only
Issuing state

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin

Connecticut does not honor permits from any other states.


Connecticut is a “may issue” state.
Non-Resident permits available.
The permit is valid for 5 years.


Where You Cannot Carry

  • Public or private elementary or secondary school property
  • A permit to carry is required to carry a handgun outside one’s home (even though one may still be on his own property);
  • In any place of business in which one is merely an employee, not an owner or operator;
  • A permit is also required to transport a handgun back and forth between one’s home and place of business, or to and from a range for target shooting.
  • Any building in which the chamber of either house of the General Assembly is located or in which the official office of any member, officer or employee of the General Assembly or the office of any committee of the General Assembly or either house thereof is located or any building in which a committee of the General Assembly is holding a public hearing.
  • Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law. 

Where You Can Carry

  • Road side rest areas
  • Vehicle
  • All areas of the state – except those listed below 

Details on Delaware Gun Laws

Concealed carry permits/licenses are issued by the Connecticut State Police.

60 Days
The application for a concealed carry permit/license must be processed within 60 days of the application being received.

NO – Must Inform Officer on Contact By Law
There is nothing in Connecticut gun laws that states you must inform a law enforcement officer you have a firearm when approached on official business. The law does require that you carry your permit/license at all times during which the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun.

Connecticut gun laws give the force of law to “No Weapons” signs. There are legal penalties for entering a private property or business that has posted these signs.

GunsToCarry recommends that you do not enter a property displaying a “No Weapons” sign whether the law is for or against signage. If asked to leave a property and you refuse to do so then you are breaking the law and put yourself at risk of being charged.

NO – Without a Permit/License
You are legally required to have a permit/license to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle.

YES – Without a Permit/License
Open carrying a handgun without a permit/license in Delaware is legal but not common. The minimum age is 18 years old.

YES – In Restaurants That Serve Alcohol
“Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Some restaurants may be posted with “NO GUN” signs. Check with the staff if this means just the bar area. If we have indicated a “Yes” then it should be legal to have a meal without drinking alcohol.

State parks, national forests and wildlife management area’s are all off limits. You can carry in roadside rest areas.

Get in Touch

Department of Emergency Services & Public Protection Division of State Police Special Licensing and Firearms Unit


Monday – Friday    8:30am – 4:15pm

Saturday                  Closed

Sunday                    Closed


Address    1111 Country Club Rd.

City            Middletown, Ct. 06457

Phone       (860) 685-8494